Friday, June 29, 2007

Howie Schneider

One of the comic strip greats, Howie Schneider, passed away yesterday. He was 77.

Comic strip afficandos know Howie for his "Eek & Meek" comic strip, which ran from 9/5/1965 to 3/25/2000 in over 500 newspapers. It was syndicated by Newspaper Enterprise Association (NEA). The notable aspect of the strip was that in early 1980s, the cartoonist changed the species of the characters from mice to humans. Their personalities, however, stayed the same.

In addition to "Eek & Meek," Howie also drew "The Circus of P.T. Bimbo," which ran in mid to late 1970s. Due to complaints from the estate of P.T. Barnum, the strip's title was changed to "Bimbo's Circus" some time later.

After ending "Eek & Meek," he became an editorial cartoonist for Provincetown Banner. He then created a strip called "The Sunshine Club," which began in 2003. One of the strip's character, Uncle Bunty, was a minor character in "Eek & Meek" toward the end of the run. I emailed Howie about this once and he said "I had used the character once a week in E&M and I fell in love with him. He opened doors for me to all kinds of new material so I gave him his own strip."

Below are the first week (minus strip #1, which I could not find in the archives) and the final two weeks of "Eek & Meek."




2 comments:

thisismarkheath said...

could you talk a bit about how he made the transition from mice to humans in eek and meek? I've always wondered about that.

Charlie Brubaker said...

Hey,

I have an article that ran in Cartoonist PROfiles that pretty much explains that. I'll post it tomorrow.