Friday, January 11, 2008

Original comic arts

Cross-posted at Bakertoons.

Lately, I’ve been collecting originals for newspaper comics and editorial cartoons. It’s a relatively expensive thing that only die-hard comic fans do (although some originals I've recieved as gifts from cartoonists) but all in all, it’s pretty worth it. What makes this cool is that while there are probably millions of copies of one comic strip (through newspapers and book collections), there’s only one original artwork in existance. Once you have it, nobody else can’t.

Most of my originals are in Japan, preparing to be shipped to my home here in Tennessee in March, but from top of my head, I have the following:

Chuck Asay - 1 editorial cartoons
Henry Payne - 1 editorial cartoon
At the Zu by Ron Ruelle - 1 daily, 1 Sunday
The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee by John Hambrock- 1 Sunday
Dog eat Doug by Brian Anderson - 1 daily
Dooley's World by Roger Bradfield - 2 dailies
Heaven's Love Thrift Shop by Kevin Frank - 1 Sunday
Prickly City by Scott Stantis - 1 Sunday
Retail by Norm Feuti - 1 Sunday
Sheldon (webcomic) by Dave Kellett - 1 daily

I’m not including autographs and sketches I’ve recieved from cartoonists, BTW. There’s too many to list for those.

If you have any originals, feel free to write about them in the comments section.

(edited 3/3/2010)

6 comments:

SFC PEYERK said...

HELLO,
MY NAME IS BASIL ZAVISKI.
DO YOU KNOW ANY WAY I CAN GET COPIES OF THE SCENE?

Brubaker said...

Basil,

Email me at cbrubaker - at - gmail - dot - com and I'll see about sending you some copies of the Scene.

Anonymous said...

Charles,
Having read many of your blog posts, comments at places like ToonTalk, the Daily Cartoonist, and so on, and some of your comics, I have great respect for you. I am also aware that about one year ago you ceased posting at Shrubville because of a certain post which you regarded as "sick" and also because you enjoy reading "Prickly City."

My question to you is this: Why, exactly, do you like "Prickly City" and Scott Stantis's work? I will not lose any respect for you based on this, but I am really curious because I can't fathom why anyone likes reading his work. (Apologies to Mr. Stantis, but it's my opinion.)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

And interesting post, by the way. I'm afraid that I don't own any originals although I have had the good fortune of seeing some originals in the past.

Brubaker said...

"Prickly City" has a nice "quirky" feel that makes it fun to read, especially strips involving Winslow. And it helps that I find the strip's commentary to be thoughtful, and in certain cases, spot on.

I will admit, though, that the first few months of the strip were weak, but as it moved on, it, IMO, improved.

Let me make it clear, BTW, that my preference in political cartoonists aren't because I agree with them. I find Matt Bors to be one of the best political cartoonists, despite his left-wing views. And just so I'm clear, I don't agree with every right-wing cartoonists either. For example, I oppose Chuck Asay's pro-Iraq War views even though I'm a fan of his cartoons.

Hope I answered your question.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the answer, Charles!
I've read lots and lots of negative criticism of "Prickly City" but never heard anyone explain why they actually liked it. When I heard that you were a fan, I knew you were the guy to ask. Thanks again, I'll look at the strip from a slightly different angle from now on.