Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More re: Family Guy

My last post prompted this response from Jerry Beck. I thought it was spot on, so I'm posting it here.

Whenever I'm forced to watch FAMILY GUY, I laugh and I usually enjoy it. But I'm one of the haters of the show.

My problem with the show has nothing to do with the actual show itself. I resent the reason it was created.

FAMILY GUY was conceived by Fox as a way to manufacture a hit show on the level of THE SIMPSONS. Fox shares/splits revenue from THE SIMPSONS with Matt Groening and Gracie Films (Jim Brooks). Fox saw how much THE SIMPSONS was making and wanted their own version of that success. When Seth MacFarland [sic] walked in with a rough idea of a "family" animated sitcom, Fox bought it and staffed it with the top comedy writing talent money could buy. The show was hilarious - but it bombed in the ratings.

However, as we all know, DVD sales and an Adult Swim run revived it. And Fox got their wish for a duplicate SIMPSONS that they own 100%. Good for them.

Unlike the Simpsons, South Park, and numerous other animated series, Family Guy has no soul. It doesn't come from any creators point of view. It's simply a manufactured product - not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm delighted with Family Guy's success, because its success reflects well for animation, hand drawn animation in particular - and it spawned many other animated shows for prime time. And that's always a good thing.

No comments: