Friday, June 24, 2011

Nine to Fire

I like independent cartoons sometimes. I don't share Amid Amidi's enthusiasm for them (he seems to prefer the artsy, maybe abstract type of films), but whenever I see an indie short that focuses on humor and characters I'll always get around watching them. Sometimes they're awful, but there are gems, too.

I like this one. The designs, as crude as they are, makes me laugh. I do notice a trend in the type of humor seen in cartoons lately, though. There seems to be a big popularity in cartoons that have surreal, absurdest humor. Sometimes it doesn't work; I'm not a big fan of Adventure Time (sorry, Cartoon Brew). On the other hand I do enjoy Regular Show, which is just as weird, but have good characters to make it work. And I consider this short to be a success.

What do you think?

No comments: