Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic



I've written about the show before and if you follow my blog you know I've done alot of fanarts for it, but with season 2 starting today I thought I'd do a brief post about it.

Cartoons based on toys will always carry a stigma with me, and I'll admit I sometimes feel dirty that I watch this show. But I wonder how much of the stigma is based on the commercial aspect of it, and the fact that all the other toy-based shows just plain suck.

Sorry to any anti-capitalist animation fans reading this, but I have no problem whatsoever with doing something for the sake of commercializing it. Hell I sometimes do it myself, whether on this blog or elsewhere. So in principal I have no problem with the idea of doing a TV show with the intent of making money from selling toys of it.

But I do have problem with badly-made cartoons. And pretty much every toy-based cartoons fall on that camp. There are many reasons for it: content restrictions, uninspired staff artists/writers, and just plain no interest in the work. Friendship is Magic, however, was produced by an artist (Lauren Faust) who was intent on making a good show, and many of the staff (in US, Canada, and the Philippians studios that co-produce the show) working on the show actually gives a crap. Much of the crew is made up of Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home, and Ed, Edd n Eddy veterans and their previous experience on those shows really shine in FIM.



Lauren Faust is no longer on the show, but the crew has stated that season 2 is shaping up to being great. This week's and next's episodes were actually made during the production of season 1, so we won't truly know how season 2 is shaping up until the third episode airs.

Equestria Daily, a FIM fanblog, recently put up an in-depth interview with Faust. It's actually a fascinating read with some interesting info. Who knew that it was Lynne Naylor (Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, Ren & Stimpy, Chowder) who designed Princess Luna?

No comments: